I think of golf as 5 different games that you play at the same time.
1. Putting - That is your family - you love it no matter what happens cause when you don't put enough time and love into it your whole life falls apart.
2. Pitching/chiping - is friendships - this is the part of your game that you can really let loose on and do what you feel and make it yours. Know if you keep this part of your game tight you can count on it no matter what happens in the rest of your life.
3. Short Game (150 in to 50) - Are hobbies - This is the part that you do in all of your free time and whenever you can and you might even short other parts of your life, cause this part is so much fun. This will bring you happiness even when other parts of life aren't perfect.
4. Iron's/ Fairway woods - This is your job - The part of life that a lot of people just try to get by and do the bare minimum just to get to the things that they love. The best part of this though is if you get really good at it and really fall in love with it, you can have a lot of success.
5. Driver aka party animal - this is Parties - If there isn't jail or danger go ahead and turn it up to 11. This part of your game can be a real weapon and bring a lot of pleasure if you can stay out of trouble. This is what we all love to do and don't get to do it as much as we would like too haha.
Here is the philosophy that i have adapted for my golf game and since i have it has really done me well it took me down to a 5 handicap and hopefully next year i can get close to scratch.