cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHACKHOUSE GIVEAWAY: Knock Off The Rust 2k17!!!!

High School Varsity

Hey Friends of the ShackHouse-

March has arrived on the calendar which can only mean one thing: IT'S GOLF SEASON!!!! (at least, for those of us that live in places with something resembling winter...)  For once, I am going to try to get off on the right foot with some proper instruction and supervised play down in northern Florida under the watchful eye of none other than Golf Channel Academy's Travis Fulton.  Probably should bring him some protective eyewear...

Anyhow, Shack and I want to hear some stories about how YOU intend to knock off the rust (KOTR) this season and we are very pleased to make it worth your while!! Our good friends at Ogio and Callaway have collaborated on a joint ShackHouse production and are offering up two great packages:

(1) an Ogio Mutant Travel bag PLUS an Odyssey O-Works '17 Putter featuring the Microhinge Insert, AND 

(2) an Ogio Cirrus stand golf bag PLUS Great Big Bertha Epic Driver with Jailbreak Technology.

The requirements for entry are easy: we need 2 sentences (more or less) about how you intend to Knock Off The Rust in 2017 AND a guess on the *combined score* of me (House) and Bon Appetit Editor in Chief Adam Rapaport on #17 at TPC Sawgrass (e.g. 5? 6? 7? 8? 9? More....???)  Rap and I are both double-digit handicappers in the 13-15 range, so take that into account...

We are playing TPC Sawgrass this Thursday afternoon (March 2) and we will have Travis Fulton there to verify.  Two winners will be selected at random from among whoever correctly guesses the score and winners will be announced next week here in ShackHouse Central as well as on Twitter.  Only one entry per Community member, please!

Let's all KOTR together this year my peoples ... in the ShackHoooooooooooouse!!!!!!

117 Comments
College Starter

I keep the rust away by continuing to play through the winter. It gets cold here in TN but not enough to keep us off the course. I won't play as well in the cold but at least I'm playing. 

Combined score: 10

High School Varsity ⭐⭐

While ND winter is tough on the golf course, It provides rust resistance and turns any body of water into a instant practice range!
Combined Score: 10IMG_0021.JPG

College Starter ⭐⭐

Winter is ready to break in these parts and I'm ready to get back at it after a 4 month layoff.  I intend to KOTR by fully engaging my new Epic fairway and Apex irons and banging away at bucket after bucket of range balls.  

Your combined scores will be 9.  Somebody is 3 putting and the other is plunking a ball in the drink!  Mid handicappers unite!

High School State Champion

I plan on knocking off the rust by going to an indoor facility and banging balls in a virtual driving range using all of the latest electronic gadgets that they have to offer to tune my swing for when the weather finally breaks...I have already been doing indoor putting drills to fine tune the stroke and chipping outdoors as the weather in New England allows....

combined score of 11

thanks for a great contest

Junior Champion

I'm gonna #KnockOffTheRust the only way I know how - get some Shackho(oooooooo)use playing on the way, crack open a few lagers, and then proceed to grip it and rip it! The sun is trying its best to shine in Philly, so the countdown is on!

Combined score is 8. Good luck!

I'm knocking the rust off by finally picking up the hitting net I've been eyeballing and pairing it with my ES12 launch monitor to figure out some distances. I've got a new gbb'15 3w and XRos 3h to get familiar with!

Combined score of 12 is my guesstimate

College Recruit ⭐

well knocking the rust is hard to do up here in the great white north. Playing indoor golf and pretty well wore a groove in the carpet putting. Going to say my guess for combined score is 7

Getting out and practice, practice, more practice. Than, 18 holes with my best friends and several adult beverages. 

8 for combine score

Junior Champion

We like to start off the year with a round of best ball to warm up on our first weekend. I will follow up with a few lessons and range time to work back into a groove. I think you will shoot 8. 

College Starter ⭐⭐

Great contest, thanks for the opportunity. As far as KOTR, this winter has been rather mild here in Jersey. Have only missed on weekend all winter. Have played in 25 deg. weather, but have played so this year there is no rust to knock off. That being said, time for my guess on the combined score.

I say 8. Good luck and have fun.

High School Varsity ⭐⭐

Since I live in San Diego there isn't a lot of rust to knock off, however this wet weather lately has lsowed me down a little.  I know you guys from the cold and snowy areas do not feel bad for me at all.  This winter leading up to tournament season I have begun taking lessons again and have started tracking my stats to see which areas I need to focus my practice time on.

Combined score of 8

One of you guys will make par

Junior Champion

To KOTR here in Iowa I take my 3 year old son the range as often as his mom will let us. As soon as the snow is gone and the cousrses open we are the first ones on the tee.

Combined Score of 11.

I am knocking off the rust by getting fit for a new set of clubs! Also i am keeping the putting rust at bay by indoor carpet putting, it is hard to putt when the dog wants to chew the golf balls!

score 9 someone is losing a ball!

College Starter

OK, my recipe for KOTR is ALL new clubs in the bag, lessones to work on the swing and then practice till my hands are raw and then hit a few more! As it has been said already, I bet one of you finds the water, combined score 9.

College Recruit

I ktro by taking my son on my first round it seems to lessen the stress on round. It helps me by letting me focus on him and not how bad I've gotten over winter!

im gonna say combined score 8!

College Recruit ⭐

High School Varsity

I am knocking of the rust by heading to FL this weekend. Combined score 8.

I've been able to play pretty much all winter (between rain storms) and will continue to KOTR with lots of range balls.

My guess for combined score is 9.  Have fun!

SDK
Junior Champion

Living in beautiful Orange County, no need to ever knock the rust off! Still shooting +18 so I am comfortable living with the rust forever attached. 

Combined score of 9. 

High School Varsity

Plan to KOTR starting with fresh grips on my clubs, some gym time, and range/course time.

Combined score: 9

High School Varsity ⭐⭐

I am knocking off the rust by going out this weekend and working on short game. Combined score 10.

High School Varsity ⭐⭐

I knock the rust off by getting a Florida trip in.  In fact if you need a fourth on Thursday I'll be just down the road.

I've played 17. It depends on where they have the pin.  I'll guess a score of 9.

College Recruit ⭐

I have 10 years of rust to knock off, plus a nagging back injury. I am going to knock the rust off by getting a lesson and then trying to get my club yardage figured out. Then play golf with my dad.

I am going low. You each make par so 6 combined.

I plan on getting out this weekend for 18 to knock off the rust.  It is supposed to be in the 60's so good for a round.  Definitely hit the range prior to the first tee.

Combined score:  9

Junior Champion

Swing as hard as I can and hope it goes straight. Combined scor:11

Junior Champion

There's no rust here in South Carolina - year round golf! Your combined score will be 9!

Junior Champion

Got an Opti-shot golf simulator for Christmas so using that to hopefully keep the rust off. I have faith in you guys I'll say combined score 6.

Junior Champion
I knock off the rust by taking a spring lesson or two, and getting out to the range a few times a week before jumping out on the course for 18. Combined score of 10...have fun!
Junior Champion

I'm going to knock the rust off by continuing to head to the range and chunk wedges and irons until I pack up the clubs and head home. A couple of good shots will make the rust seem like it's off and keeps me coming back. 

Combined Score: 11

High School Varsity ⭐⭐

I'm going to knock off the rust by reading "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young, and by setting up fun practice games and challenges to get my short game in shape.

Combined score: 8

College Recruit

I keep the rust off by short game and putting practice and playing a few times a month during the winter (Texas). I have more rust than most just coming off full shoulder replacemant. But broke 80 this past weekend can't complain. Score ( 9 )

Junior Champion

To knock off the rust I hit the range once a week starting in mid-January. Then to get the juices flowing I watch and listen to as much golf coverage as possible. House and Rap will combine for a 9! Sorry Boys!

Junior Champion

Enjoy, House! Up here in Philly we're headed to the local public range with bad mats, cash only, balls sold out of a trailer, and surrounded by chain link fence. Thankfully its BYO so you get the whole experience. Enjoy Sawgrass - one of the great spots to lose a few balls.

Combined score: 9 - somebody is going in the drink.

Junior Champion

I plan on knocking off the rust by hitting the driving range when the weather permits and getting on the course by late march. Combined score of 7

Junior Champion

Up in Canada the golf season is so short, the rust never really comes off but I plan on heading to the frozen tundra on the driving range as soon as possible and try and figure out what the straight part of long and straight feels like.

I'm going combined score of 9!

Junior Champion

I hite wiffle balls in the basement. I also typically make a trip south to Missouri or Alabama to get some early rounds in. 

Combined Score: 8

Junior Champion

I knock off the rust with a chipping obstacle course around the yard (over tables, through deckrail slats, around the dog) and then get to the range for irons and drivers. Combined score 7.

Junior Champion

I'll be knocking the rust off at an indoor golf dome, and maybe some Top Golf, but Chicago's mild winter may open the chance to hit some real grass earlier than expected. 

Combined score will be an 8...I think you can both stick the tee shot, but the pin location will make or break you. 

Junior Champion

Too cold to knock off the rust here in Philly just yet. Been working on my swing hitting into a net in my basement. Can't wait for warm weather. Enjoy the weekend and report back on your favorite eats at TPC.

Combined Score: 9

Junior Champion

The warm swing through Ohio the past two weekends was the white vinegar for my golf game. Once the rain clears and the weather warms a bit more, the game will be in full bloom.

Junior Champion

Tried to keep the rust off getting in a handfull of Northeast winter rounds.  Got a chance to knock off some rust playing 18 in 60+ degree Boston temps last weekend.  Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Combined Score for #17? 8 seems to be a good bet.

Junior Champion

I'm knocking the rust off by hitting the range with my 8 year old in preparation for an epic 40th birthday trip with buddies to Monterey.  We've been underwater in California, but when it isn't raining, we are beating balls.  

Combined score is 9.

Junior Champion

I plan on braving the early season frigid temperatures here in Canada to try and figure out what it feels like to get up and down. I also hope to jar my first chip-in in roughly a decade. #greenwork

Combined score: 10

Junior Champion

I've been trying to knock off the rust by visiting some local simulators every couple weeks, and attacking the driving range as sooon as they open up here in Southwest Minnesota. Hoping to get in a round in Omaha this weekend with the 60 degree weather.

Combined score is 9.

Junior Champion

It's only recently warmed up in Georgia but I've played a couple of cold, wet rounds already this year.  First was a lonely round the day after the Super Bowl, trying to stop thinking about how many ways there are to run the clock out u - never mind.  Second was at the course up in the mountains at Brasstown Valley, had some fun there.  Even had a natural par on the last par 5 on the course, a decent accomplishment for a terrible golfer like me.  Been thinking about getting fitted for new clubs as part of the process of knocking off the rust, as well.  

Guess for combined score: 10.  Possibly par for one and a blowup for the other.  

Junior Champion

I am knocking the rust off by deciding to join a country club with the plan to play at least once a week and practice once a week. 

Combined Score: 9

Junior Champion

I got a head start at knocking off the rust by pretending winter didn't exist here in the DMV and playing two consecutive weeks in February. Nothing like golf followed by burgers and beers in 70 degree weather in the middle of winter.

Combined score - 9

Junior Champion

KOTR:  My plan for knocking off the rust is pretty simple, playing more!  Typically I prefer to play 18, and was never a fan of only playing 9.  However, I've recently started walking 9 holes every now and then.  It's a nice way to get on the course practice, and a little cardio

combined score: 10 (pretty intimidating hole for amateurs)

Junior Champion

KOTR hopefully by trying out the new Great Big Bertha Epic Driver that I win in this contest. Hopefully all the rust will be knocked off before the weather turns hot and humid.

Combined score of 9

Junior Champion

It's been wet and cold in Portland, OR so there is plenty of rust.  I plan on having a couple "tune up" lessons and sneaking in range time during my lunch breaks